Preparation time: 1 hour 20 minutes. Serves 4
8 chicken thighs on or off the bone, skin removed
500g tinned tomatoes
3cm piece root ginger, peeled and roughly chopped
4 cloves garlic, peeled
Two large onions
2 tsp garam masala
1 tsp hot chilli powder (more depending on how spicy you like your curry)
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp turmeric
Salt and pepper
2 tbsp vegetable oil
Chopped coriander to garnish (optional)
1) Peel and chop the onions and fry with the vegetable oil in a deep saucepan or casserole until well browned but not burnt.
2) Spoon onions and oil into a blender. Add the tinned tomatoes, the garlic and ginger and blend until smooth.
3) Note: this stage can also be done in the saucepan with a hand-blender, but beware splattering!
4) Return contents of blender into saucepan. Add the spices, season with salt and pepper and bring to boil.
5) Add the chicken pieces and simmer for 45 minutes or until chicken is cooked through. If the mixture is too thick during cooking, let down with a little water.
6) Serve with basmati rice and garnish with the coriander if desired.
7) Please note, this recipe has not been tested by the JC.
To see the original source and author of this please go to this URL: