GRANDMA ROSY’S SANDAN
500 grams cream of wheat (not instant)
250 or 300 grams sugar
1 ¾ sticks margarine or butter
100 grams all purpose flour
1 ¾ packet rapid rise yeast
2 tblsp ground coconut (fine)
½ tin coconut milk
2 cups water
1 tsp salt
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp all purpose flour
7 large eggs
Cardamom & nutmeg powder as needed
Sliced or slivered almonds as needed
Saffron as needed
- In a small glass mix together 1 tsp sugar and1 tsp flour – add a little hot water, mix well – sprinkle yeast over the mixture and let rise.
- Beat the eggs well in a bowl and set aside.
- In a big pot, thoroughly mix 2 cups water, coconut milk, 100 grams all purpose flour – cook on medium heat, stirring constantly, to make a paste (not too thick) – add the butter/margarine, stir until melted – remove from stove.
- In a big bowl, mix cream of wheat, sugar, ground coconut and salt – add yeast mixture – mix well – add beaten eggs – add cooked paste – mix again, till well incorporated.
- Cover the bowl with wrap and leave overnight in a warm place, covered with a blanket.
- Next morning add saffron, cardamom, nutmeg and mix.
- If paste is too thick, add some hot water – keep in a warm spot for 2–3 hours.
- Fill molds (watees) with¼ of the paste and steam for 12 to 15 minutes.
To see the original source and author of this please go to this URL: