3/4 tsp whole coriander or 1/2 tsp powdered coriander spice
1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp salt
Black pepper to taste
1 lb. peeled potatoes (Russet or Yukon Gold)
4 small onions, peeled and sliced
1/2 tsp minced fresh garlic
You will also need
a large skillet, a mortar and pestle or spice grinder (if using whole coriander seeds)
Servings: 4 servings
Kosher Key: Pareve
1) Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. If using whole coriander seed, pour the seeds into dry skillet. Toast them over medium heat for 3-5 minutes, stirring constantly, till fragrant. Do not let them burn.
2) Crush the seeds to a powder using a mortar and pestle or a spice grinder. Measure out 1/2 tsp of coriander powder; reserve.
3) In a small bowl, whisk together olive oil, coriander powder, turmeric, salt and pepper.
4) Slice the potatoes into rounds about 1/4 inch thick; make sure all slices are of an even thickness. Place them on a baking sheet. Spray the sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or line the sheet with nonstick foil, if you have it– it will help keep the potatoes from sticking.
5) Brush each potato slice with a layer of the spiced oil.
6) Turn the slices and brush the other sides with another layer of oil. You should only use about half of the spiced oil; reserve the other half.
7) Place baking sheet on the middle rack of the oven. Let the potato slices roast for 15 minutes.
8) Remove the sheet from the oven and flip the potato slices.
9) Put the sheet back in the oven, turning it so that the opposite side faces the front of the oven, and let it continue to roast for about 10 minutes longer till the potato slices are golden brown and tender.
10) Scoop up the oven fried potatoes with a slotted spatula and place them on a plate or in a bowl.
11) Place the onion slices in a large saute pan. Pour the leftover oil from the baking sheet over the top of the onions, along with the reserved spiced oil.
12) Stir the onions to coat them with the oil. Turn heat to medium and let the onions warm up, stirring frequently, till they begin to fry.
13) Fry the onion for about 10 minutes till the slices soften and turn yellow from the spices. Add the garlic and continue to saute till garlic is fragrant.
14) Add potatoes to the pan and gently toss them with the onions, being careful not to break them apart. Let the mixture continue to fry for a few minutes longer until the onions caramelize at the edges.
15) Serve the potatoes and onions as a side dish.
To see the original source and author of this please go to this URL: